Design Engineers specialize in reverse engineering and creating custom designed replacement parts for Excel customers. Parts range from simple to complex, metal to plastic, small to very large. Custom solutions include making intuitive modifications to current parts, or creating clean-sheet designs to solve site or model-specific issues.
Unlike many engineering positions, you will not be locked into a cubicle at Excel. Our design engineers spend much of their time getting their hands dirty-both in our manufacturing space and around the world at mine sites on 6 continents.
Our design engineers produce designs with SolidWorks and AutoCAD. Most parts designed are used in large machinery for the mining industry, such as hydraulic excavators, draglines, electric rope shovels, and cone/gyratory rock crushers.
Excel engineers us the latest in 3-D CMM (coordinate measuring machine) technology. These devices obtain hyper-accurate measurements both in-house and in the field, to provide our engineers with the critical data they need to make intelligent design decisions.
Excel offers an in-house metallurgist who works alongside our design engineers, adding a new dimension of analysis and quality to our engineering department.
Our dedicated quality team also works closely with engineering to ensure that the design-manufacturing process is executed with consistent excellence.
We are looking for people with these criteria:
- 4-Year Mechanical Engineering Degree or equivalent experience/aptitude
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Strength in mechanical engineering & custom design
- Interested in regular travel & site visits (international & domestic)
- Interested in open-pit mining equipment and other large machinery
- Experience using 3-D modeling software (SolidWorks, AutoCAD)
- Experience using portable CMM, mobile spectrograph, and conventional measuring/gauging tools